Wednesday, April 17, 2013

The Construction Paper Moving Strategy



Operation move is in full swing with less than two weeks until closing. I've been playing around with some designs for our moving announcements and I think I've found a favorite. Once I get them sent out, I'll share them with the blog world and offer them up in my Etsy shop.

However, today we are going to focus on having an organized move.

By nature, I tend to be a control freak like order. Nothing about moving is orderly. That said, it is safe to say that having my life stuffed in boxes and stacked around the apartment is making me a nervous wreck. Ha! I'm also driving my poor, long-suffering husband crazy. Thank the Lord he loves me cause we'd have problems if he didn't. It also doesn't help this will be my FOURTH time moving in the last year. At least, it will be the last for a good long while!

Through the chaos of moving, I have managed to create a packing/moving system which is somewhat pacifying my need for order.

Packing Supplies:
- Boxes (of all sizes)
- Packing tape
- Newspaper and plastic bags
- Big, fat permanent marker
- Big pack of construction paper
- Scissors

Moving can be expensive. Lucky for us, we are only moving about a mile and half down the road and don't need to hire a moving company. However, moving can still get expensive if you have to buy boxes and wrapping material. Here's some moving-on-a-budget tips for you:

- Hunt for boxes everywhere. I asked my boss to save any boxes the daycare would be throwing out for me. Let me tell you she loaded me up! R.J. did the same and brought them home from the grocery stores he works at. Also, enlist the help of your family and friends in your box hunting escapade. Our family and friends are still bringing us boxes and we certainly aren't going to turn them down!
- If you know you will be moving, start hording your plastic bags from your weekly trips to the grocery store. Plastic bags make excellent packing material. Also, don't forget all those towels and sheets in your linen closet will make for great packing material!
-Gather your packing supplies into one spot. Pick a small box and put all your small supplies like the permanent marker, construction paper, scissors and tape in it.
 

Now, it is time to explain my color-schemed packing system.

Assign each room in your new home a color from your pack of construction paper. Here are my categories: Master, Bathrooms, Living Room, Kitchen, Bedroom, Office, Storage and Basement.

When I get a box securely packed, I grab its coordinating color of paper and write the room on the paper. On moving day, I will put a piece of the construction paper on the door or wall of the room in which the same colored boxes go. Make sense? That way, those who are not familiar with the layout of our new house will be able to find the right room for the right boxes. Maybe it is overkill, but it gives me peace of mind. We all know you can't put a dollar sign on that!


I do recommend designating one room to keep your boxes in. Of course, I have separated out the boxes by room in my designated moving room, but to each his own!

Happy packing!
Miranda

Bentley sleeping while mommy packs!











No comments:

Post a Comment