Wednesday, August 8, 2012

How To: Not Become a Bridezilla


Everyone says that getting married is one of the most happiest times of your life. What they don't tell you is that it's also one of the most stressful.

My favorite guilty pleasure right now is watching "Bridezillas" on WE tv - mostly because it is surprisingly therapeutic for me. In a way, I really can relate to them when they freak out because they are so stressed. 

Let's face it, ALL brides have bridezilla moments at some point and it's not just cause we are hot tempered.  

We become bridezillas after months of trying to stretch your budget impossibly thin, slice and dice your guest list (and then have awkward conversations with those who wonder why they weren't invited), finish a never-ending list of DIY crafts, figure out your attire, the groom's attire and the entire wedding party's attire (and then all your family's attire because they want your input too) and signing contract after contract after contract. 

Because there is no such thing as a "stress-free wedding," here are some handy tips I've learned through my wedding planning journey to keep from turning into a bridezilla:

     1.Do not procrastinate and organize! With weddings, you cannot wait until the very last minute. Doing so will shoot your stress level into the sky. The cake has to be ordered so far in advance and the photographer has to be booked. My strong suggestion: find a timeline you like and religiously stick to it! Here are a couple of my favorites: 
                                     a) MarryThis! Wedding Planning Timeline 
                                     b) TheKnot's Planning Checklist
     2.  Have wedding-free days every now and then. This is one of the BEST things that almost     husband and I have done during our engagement. We go on a date to dinner and the movies and say NOT ONE WORD about the wedding. Not only does it take your mind off growing list of things you need to do, it lets the two of you re-bond. Wedding planning puts a lot of stress on the couple because with wedding planning comes life planning too - like whose bank account will stay or where you both will live after the big day. By not talking about any of these stressful things and just having fun, I always felt rejuvenated the next day. 
     
     3. Don't be afraid to bug people. By people, I mean vendors or anyone who is overseeing some part of your big day. Chances are, your wedding is not the only one for your vendors. Be sure you don't fall by the wayside by routinely checking in with them to see how things are progressing. By knowing how every part is going, you'll feel more at ease and trust that things are coming together as they should. 

    4. Ask questions until you have peace of mind. My poor cupcake maker received three phone calls from me in a row this morning asking about the cupcake tower. I want to put a cake round on the top and needed to know the diameter of top tier. However, there is an inch hump on the top which complicates what I want. Without bugging the cupcake maker incessantly about the top tier, I wouldn't have known that and been up a creek on my wedding day. ASK! ASK! ASK!

     5. Ask for help. There is no way that I could any of this without my mother. She's the one who I bounce ideas off of and the one who stays up late with me finishing wedding crafts. I'm also fortunate to have some grandmothers who've volunteered to help finish up the remaining crafts too.  There's no way a wedding is a one-woman show. For the most part, you'll find that your family and friends were just dying for you to ask them to help with something.

Do you have any tips to add? I'd love to hear from you below! 

Over and out,
Miranda

No comments:

Post a Comment